Friday, February 10th, 2017
Contact: Sam Singleton-Freeman, 414-469-9206, email@example.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday will be a Day Without Latinxs, Immigrants, & Refugees in Wisconsin
Thousands will strike, close businesses, take their kids from school and march at 11am in Milwaukee to stop Milwaukee County Sheriff and Trump ally David Clarke from turning sheriffs into Immigration agents
- WHAT: Statewide Day without Latinxs, Immigrants, & Refugees and March to #StopClarke
- WHO: Voces de la Frontera, Coalition for an Inclusive Wisconsin, Muslim community organizations, thousands of immigrant workers, business owners and their families, community supporters
- WHEN: Monday, February 13th, 11am
- WHERE: March assembles at 1027 S. 5th St. in Milwaukee and marches to the Milwaukee County Courthouse. Rally at the courthouse to follow.
- Buses and caravans coming from over 25 cities. Click here for a list of bus pickup locations and times when interviews can be conducted.
MILWAUKEE – Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke has declared his intention to enroll his department in the federal 287g program, deputizing his sheriffs to act as ICE agents. To stop Sheriff Clarke, Voces de la Frontera has called for a Day without Latinxs, Immigrants, and Refugees on Monday, February 13th. Thousands of community members and supporters throughout Wisconsin will stay away from work and school, close their businesses, leave theirt farms and march at 11am from Voces de la Frontera’s offices to the Milwaukee County Courthouse. Dairy, hotels, restaurants, manufacturers, grocery stores, and other industries will be affected by closures and labor stoppages.
“My husband was deported,” said Jennifer Estrada, a community leader in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. “I know what that feels like and the impact it had on my children. Immigrants are the backbone to the dairy industry in my area and without them, the economy would get worse for all of us. People should not be afraid of law enforcement, they should not live under the threat of their families being torn apart. I am proudly marching on Monday to say no to Sheriff Clarke’s plan to enroll in 287g. If it starts in Milwaukee, it will spread to other counties.”